Tuesday, July 14, 2009

What's On Your Nightstand?


This is my first time participating in What's On Your Nightstand, and I'm pretty late (everyone else did theirs in June). But I'm here!

I'm reading 2 historical nonfictions right now, and am loving one and think the other is okay.

The first is The Devil In The White City by Erik Larson. This one is for book club with my neighbors. It's about the World's Fair in Chicago at the end of the 19th century, and about one of America's first serial killers, H.H. Holmes, who was operating in Chicago at the same time. The book is completely fascinating, and it is so well written! I'll be sad when this one is over.

The second book I'm reading right now is The Suspicions of Mr. Whicher by Kate Summerscale. The subject is so engrossing: it's about a murder mystery in mid-Victorian England, and is pretty much what all the subsequent mystery books about country-house murders are based from. The case was covered extensively at the time, so there is loads of historical details, which is great. And like I said, the subject is so interesting, but I'm finding the writing to be a little lackluster. I'll finish it, because I cannot wait to know how it all turns out, but it will be despite the writing, not because of it.

A fabulous book that I just finished, and MUST MUST recommend, is called The Name of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. It is by far one of the best fantasy novels that I've read in years. I was spellbound from the first chapter. I am *so sad* that the second book in the series isn't out yet! Also, the author is very, very cool. He's a sci-fi convention loving geek, he used to be an advisor to the feminist club at his local college, and he loves TV. I mean, seriously. How on Earth could I not love this guy??

So, what's on your nightstand??

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to stop and say hello. I love your blog. Very interesting and lovely pictures. Good Luck to you in your blogging. KUDOS!

Ellie

Holly said...

I have been doing a lot of reading lately. I've always been a huge reader but don't have enough time to read as much as I'd like to anymore. I'm reading BitchFest at the moment, which is a compilation of the best articles from Bitch Magazine from the past 10 years. Great read. I usually read a lot of fiction and the best fiction book I've read in a whiiile was The Wilde Women by Paula Wall. Really amazing read, especially if you like the 1920's, hah.

Anonymous said...

I am reading "Knife of Dreams" by Robert Jordan. His Wheel of Time series is my all time favorite. The Chicago book I am going to pick up. I am from there and will very very likely find the subject matter interesting.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendation of The Name of the Wind, Sarah! I'll see if my library has it. I was looking to read an engaging book! Right now I'm putting the audio version of Dan Brown's sequel to The DaVinci Code, The Lost Symbol on my ipod. I knit while I listen/read.