Wednesday, September 24, 2008

George R.R. Martin, I *heart* you!

One of my very favorite authors, George R.R. Martin, is contributing books to Books 4 Barack, which is such an exciting idea and makes me REALLY REALLY wish that I had $250 to contribute. Here's the gist:



From George R.R. Martin's blog:

Just go to http://my.barackobama.com/page/outreach/view/main/ayelet and make a donation of $250 (or more) to the Obama Victory Fund, and you'll receive a canvas tote bag imprinted with the BOOKS FOR OBAMA logo and stuffed with ten (10, count 'em, 10) autographed books.

The contents of each tote bag will be randomly selected from the books donated by a huge list of participating writers, so there's no knowing what titles you may get. There will be hardcovers, first editions, mass market paperbacks, maybe some art books, graphic novels, and who knows what else... but all of them will be signed by the authors, and all the money will go to help elect Barack Obama as our next president.

Hundreds of writers have already signed up and sent books. Stephen King, Judy Blume, Michael Chabon, Nora Ephron, Alan Furst, Garrison Keillor, Lemony Snicket, Amy Tan, Steve Martin, Ursula K. Le Guin, Jonathan Lethem, Dennis Lehane, Ann Tyler, and many, many, many more have donated to the cause, and more writers are being heard from every day.

For full details on the program and how it works, and a (partial) list of particpating writers, check out the Books 4 Barack website at http://books4barack.com/

I have a big box of twenty-odd books here that will be on its way tomorrow. Some old stuff, some new stuff, some hardcovers, some paperbacks, some common, some rare and collectible. Maybe you'll get one of them. Or maybe you'll be the lucky one who gets a signed Stephen King first in your mystery bag.

I am so in love with this idea, and I really hope someone I know does this, so I can get all excited about seeing what books they receive. So awesome!

No comments: